Travel Tips: Smart Packing for Children
- Pack light and according to the weather. Have the term, ‘pack light’ in your mind and you will still end up with a load of stuff
- Instead of packing bulky clothes, focus on layers of clothing that can be peeled off or added to as the weather requires
- Pack a couple of new toys, books and games to keep the kids occupied in flight and in the car, as the case may be
- Load your smart phone with apps and games to keep them busy while on the go
- Pack your chargers and electrical voltage converters for your destination country
- ID cards and travel documents go separately along
- Pack copies of both in the backpack your children will carry along
Packing for travel with infants:
- If travelling with an infant, be sure you have packed all essentials including formula, baby food, diapers, wipes and plenty of clothes for the trip
- Pack 2-3 sets of clothes, formula, baby food, wipes and plenty of diapers separately in a carry-on bag along with a set of clothes for you for the flight; be prepared for delays and other eventualities
- Be sure to take along microwave sterilizers, or a sterilizing liquid or tablet if your baby is bottle-fed
- Take a plastic bag for soiled diapers. Most airlines have dispose chutes and separate baby diaper changing areas near the lavatories, but further on, you will need the bags.
- Put baby food in a non-spill container and freeze it if you have to go for a long flight
- Pack all infant medications for fever, earaches, cold and other eventualities
- Pack a pacifier and/or a bottle for landing and take-offs. Sucking on them will help ease and even prevent the earaches caused due to changes in atmospheric pressure.
- The plane will be cold, so pack a warmer/comforter for the trip
- Do not forget, we repeat, do not forget, your baby’s favourite stuff toy
- A car seat will go a long way in ensuring your baby’s safety in flight as well as on road.
- Take along the small, collapsible stroller